Monday, October 31, 2011

Robert Cumming

Robert Cumming is an American artist best known for his conceptual photography. He stages his photographs. Seemingly mundane at first glance, Cumming's photographs exhibits a type of tongue in cheek humor.

Top: Coffee Cup, Tea Cup, and Me-Cup, 1972 / Bottom: Coffee Cups, Tea Cups, and She-Cups, 1972
In Coffee Cup, Tea Cup, and Me-Cup / Coffee Cups, Tea Cups, and She-Cups, the subject of these photos are "cups." I liked how Cumming twisted the word "cup" into a term. Each photograph is nicely composed. No special emphasis was used to direct the viewer's eyes to the "Me-Cup."

Institutional Faucet, 1971
Another photograph that I thought was artfully produced was Institutional Faucet. This photograph is exceptionally funny to me. I don't think I would have thought of having paper towels looped into my typewriter. I find a sense of duo functionality in this photo. There is the business side and the homely side. I like how both sides are symmetrical. The pencil sharpener is balanced by the soap dispenser on the other side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment